"Blog" According to the Oxford Dictionary Definition of blog in English: noun "A regularly updated website or web page, typically one run by an individual or small group, that is written in an informal or conversational style." Blogging for Business, it's a little different from personal blogging, although the guidelines are pretty much the same. It's all about your thought leadership and creating thought provoking and on topic content that will interest your readership and/or target market. Your marketing team should either be running or take a huge interest in blogging for business and should have a programme already created for employees to join. Here are my nine steps to Blogging for business.
Don't be the sales guy! Don't flog your product in your blog, that's what your website is for. What do you readers want, your point of view, thought leadership, opinion on industry, personal stories, to learn something new, and if you can manage it, a little bit of humour.
2. Competitors Always check out what your competitors are blogging about, it's best to be in the know, and hey, who knows perhaps you can write a better blog entry than they did!
3. Define your Audience Not much more to say, once you've defined your audience, your content ideas will be easy to create.
4. Reading Habits A lot of people consume their data on mobile phones and tablets, so bare that in mind when you are writing your blog entries, is it going to be easy to read on a device.
5. How often? You should be regular! Ideally at least once a week, but if you can't manage that, due to work commitments, then I would try and plan for fortnightly. How many Words? Generally, I like to stick to about 350 words, there is so much content out there, that it can be overwhelming for your readers. Also, 350 sit's nicely within a mobile phone. Just remember #NoWarAndPeaceArticles
6. Structure and Planning Plan your content, put together a diary highlight important key dates within your industry, themed blog articles are just as interesting as industry announcements. The Title of your blog is just as important as the content, if your stuck for a catchy title, check out this cool website, http://www.impactbnd.com/blog-title-generator/blogabout
7. Trending Make the most of the trends, if you are able to publish a blog on a trending topic, fantastic!
8. Promoting So many ways to promote your blog, all the social media channels are perfect, as well as sticking it in a newsletter, company intranet, email your colleagues, pride of place on your website....
9. Measuring and Monitoring Your company should have an analytic page which will be able to give you insight into the statistics of your blog. Always keep an eye on these and it's another way to view which blogs are more popular.